Wednesday, July 19, 2023

OR & NOR in Chess

Chess game has fascinated me since my childhood, there are lots of interesting facts about it. My favorite piece on the board is Knight. It can hop and do deceiving attacks with its mysterious capabilities. Basically, the square it can land on is not obvious and makes the opponent overlook or miss the attack. I have been taught that Knight moves in L or 7- shape. The steps were not intuitive to me and I was not able to get a convincing explanation for the same until recently. When I found the reason, it only increased my admiration for the inventor of the game.

Before going to Knight, let's look at other pieces on the board.

The Rook: Rooks move in straight lines along ranks (horizontally) and files (vertically). They can move an unlimited number of squares in any of these directions, making them powerful long-range pieces.

The Bishop: Bishops, on the other hand, move diagonally across the chessboard. Like rooks, they can also move an unlimited number of squares along their respective diagonals, granting them extensive influence over the board.

The Queen: - The queen can move to all squares which a rook can move or a bishop can move. Most powerful in the chess world! 

Now, the Knight: The knight can move to a square which neither Bishop NOR Rook can go, or simply a queen cannot go. This makes the player to hard to foresee any fork attacks, which knights are good at. 

Knight is a real-world use case of NOR operation, that's common in the Computer Science field.

No comments:

Post a Comment